Dr. Rachor was raised on the east side of the state in Grand Blanc, MI. He became a dentist in 1990 after graduating from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and has been practicing for over 30 years!
We asked Dr. Rachor a few questions so you can get to know him a little better!
What led you to seek a career in dentistry?
“I have always had a drive in my heart to selflessly serve others. Dentistry gave me the outlet to put that passion in action. This field even granted me the ability to work with my hands, which is something I have been fond of since I can remember.”
Tell us about your family?
“I have been married for 32 years and am the father of 7 beautiful children with 2 daughters being adopted from Guatemala. My wife, our two youngest and I currently live in Ada, MI.”
Please list some personal achievements.
- “I am the Founder and President of & Vice President of – At its core, Transforming Futures aims to give Guatemalan children the best chance at having happy, healthy, and prosperous lives. We do this by focusing on their nutrition, education, and development.In 2021 alone, we served more than 190,000 plates. Our Feeding Centers provided daily meals to an average of 530 children who live in extreme poverty. We also finished the construction of an elementary school that will serve more than 170 students and be used as a space for community members to gather, vote, and receive health care. These are a few of the many programs and initiatives we are currently involved in.”
- “I have had the pleasure of traveling to Guatemala more than 80 times serving and directing mission trips or other relief projects.”
- “I am the founder of Carriage Town Dental Network, which serves the homeless population in Flint, MI.”
- “Founder and CEO of Smile Mentorship Institute, consulting and training young professionals. As well as teaching at the University of Michigan and elsewhere.”
- “Over the years I have had the opportunity to speak at various financial conferences as well as many podcasts.”
What memberships are you currently involved in?
“I am a member of the American Dental Association, Michigan Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the Academy of Laser Dentistry.”
Have you ever published work or been published before? If so, what.
“Yes, my Daughter Sophie and I recently published a children’s book called, “The Friendly Mouse!”
Who are your top 3 favorite musicians?
“I have to go with The Who, Eagles, and Casting Crowns!”
Do you have any exciting plans or any bucket list items you want to check off this year?
“May not get to it this year, but I have always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail!”
What are your 3 favorite movies?
“Shawshank Redemption, Outlaw Josey Wales, and Tombstone.”
What is your favorite part about working with patients?
“It really just comes down to getting to know my patients on a personal level. I love the uniqueness of different walks of life and understanding perspectives outside my own.”
If you could be an Olympic athlete, in what sport would you compete?
“Tennis and if it was the Winter Olympics, definitely one of the Skiing events.”
Did you ever study under a well known individual in dentistry?
“Yes, I have had the pleasure to have studied under a few well known individuals in the dental field!
- Frank Comstock DDS, MS, who is a Hall of Honor Award recipient at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry, “He taught in the Department of Operative Dentistry and co-wrote a widely used textbook on the subject. For 15 years he led the Graduate Restorative Program, and he also was instrumental in establishing a dental assistant program in 1961.” These are a few of his many accomplishments.
- Sigurd P. Ramfjord DDS, “Ramfjord was known internationally for his leadership in establishing the specialty of periodontics (diseases of the gums) on a scientific basis.” In addition, “Ramfjord was active in many dental organizations. He served as president of the American Academy of Periodontology and also served as director and chairman of the American Board of Periodontology,” among many other achievements through his life.
- James Alyn McNamara DDS, MS, PhD, “Dr. McNamara has published over 240 scientific articles in refereed journals, has written, edited or contributed to 65 books, and has presented courses and lectures in 35 countries,” among many other accomplishments.
How do you treat yourself after a long day of work?
“I love a nice long bike ride, but my favorite is time with family.”
What is your favorite type of treatment to do?
“I would have to say Cosmetic Treatments and Invisalign. I also love working with the latest in Laser Dentistry!”
What do you like to do on rainy days?
“My go to is a good book!
What is your favorite movie quote?
“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”
What’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever been?
“Maui or Italy!”