- Eat a diet of soft, non-chewy foods for the next 2 weeks.
- Do not chew gum for 2 weeks.
- Use a cold compress on the sore area of the jaw to help reduce inflammation – keep the cold compress on for 20 minutes and then remove for 20 minutes; repeat.
- If the muscles are still sore, you can also use a warm compress on the sore jaw area to help relax them – keep the warm compress on for 20 minutes and then remove for 20 minutes; repeat.
- Do not open your mouth wide and stabilize your jaw when yawning.
- Take 800mg Ibuprofen four times a day with food to help reduce inflammation if needed for pain — Do not do this for more than one week.
- Follow the golden rule “If it hurts don’t do it!”.
- Call our office if you have any questions or concerns.
Get Quality Dental Care
Our West Michigan family dentists provide quality dental care to patients of all ages. With five convenient West Michigan locations, we have the capability of handling all of your family's dental needs. Call MI Smiles Dental Grand Haven at (616) 842-1188, MI Smiles Dental Cascade at (616) 974-4990, MI Smiles Comstock Park at (616) 784-3515, or MI Smiles Grand Rapids at (616) 942-2870 today, or schedule your appointment online.