HOW LONG WILL I BE NUMB?
- If you were anesthetized (numbed), you can expect to stay this way for 1-3 hours (the lower teeth may stay numb a bit longer than the upper). To avoid damage to your tongue, cheeks, or lips, you should avoid any chewing until the numbness wears off.
DO I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH MY FILLINGS?
- White fillings harden immediately, so as soon as the numbness wears off you can chew as you normally would. With silver fillings, you shouldn’t chew hard or sticky foods directly on new fillings for the first 24 hours. Try to chew on the opposite side of your mouth.
WHAT IF MY FILLINGS HURT?
- It is normal to experience some sensitivity to temperatures (especially cold) and biting pressure. Depending on the size and depth of the restoration, sensitivity may last for a few days to many weeks or months.
The sensitivity will gradually become better with time. Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or medication normally taken for a headache will help with this. However, if the sensitivity gets worse, the tooth starts hurting on its own, or if you have throbbing or swelling, please give our office a call.
WHAT IF MY BITE DOESN’T SEEM RIGHT?
- While you are numb it can be difficult to tell precisely where your normal bite is. After the numbness wears off, if your bite still doesn’t feel right, please give our office a call and we can easily adjust the filling to make it more comfortable.
IS THE FILLING GOING TO FEEL DIFFERENT THAN MY OTHER TEETH?
- New, white fillings can feel rough to the tongue at first. The white fillings will gradually smooth out when chewing and brushing normally.
Get Quality Dental Care
Our West Michigan family dentists provide quality dental care to patients of all ages. With five convenient West Michigan locations, we have the capability of handling all of your family's dental needs. Call MI Smiles Dental Grand Haven at (616) 842-1188, MI Smiles Dental Cascade at (616) 974-4990, MI Smiles Comstock Park at (616) 784-3515, or MI Smiles Grand Rapids at (616) 942-2870 today, or schedule your appointment online.